June 03, 2012

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown



Book Blurb:
Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistible good looks and charm on ususpecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.

Note: At the request of Netgalley and the Publisher a full review will be posted here for this book, but can be found on our Goodreads page and my personal album on Paranormal Reads Facebook page.

My Review:

I received Lies Beneath as an Advanced Reader's Copy through Netgalley and Delacorte BFYR. Wow, when I read the blurb for Lies Beneath I was instantly intrigued, I haven't read many books that focus around Merpeople as part of the plot as I am always a bit skeptical on how the author may write the story or put a twist to the lore. I thought the twist on the lore was refreshing. In Lies Beneath Merpeople stick together as a family of fish and migrate when they must to their original home once a year. However, in the case of Calder, he takes a time of reprieve away from his 3 sisters until they call for him that it is time to start their migration home. However, this call is different, this time it is to let their dear brother know that the man who will pay for their mother’s death has been found.



You could tell straight away that the sibling’s relationship was a bit strained, as it seemed he especially did not get along with the older sister Maris and was ready to jump on the offer of gaining his freedom from the family once their mission to gain revenge was complete. I didn’t quite understand why he wanted away from his sisters, but as you read through the book you begin to understand what sets him apart from his sisters and also dive deeper into the lore that Anne Greenwood Brown has written surrounding Merpeople.



I have to say the twist at the end was the perfect touch, I did not anticipate that at all and because of that it now leaves me wondering if Author Anne Greenwood Brown plans to continue this book as a series as the end is set up perfectly in a way that she could continue as a series or she can end the book there, but would leave the reader with a few questions and have their mind running amok.


Though I found the blurb interesting I did find myself at a crossroads with how I felt towards the book though the content and plot interested me I did not feel that eager tug to keep reading as I do with so many other books. I found myself taking breaks easily, while with other books it is hard to tear me away from reading. Overall, I thought that this was a good read and would recommend this book to those looking for something new and modern when it comes to stories that surround mermaids/men. 3.5 out of 5 bats rounded up to 4 for Goodreads.



Release Date: June 12, 2012

~Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate