August 21, 2012

Lies Beneath Review

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Goodreads Blurb
Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans and absorb their positive energy. Usually, they select their victims at random, but this time around, the underwater clan chooses its target for a reason: revenge. They want to kill Jason Hancock, the man they blame for their mother's death.

It's going to take a concerted effort to lure the aquaphobic Hancock onto the water. Calder's job is to gain Hancock's trust by getting close to his family. Relying on his irresistible good looks and charm, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter Lily. Easy enough, but Calder screws everything up by falling in love--just as Lily starts to suspect there's more to the monster-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined, and just as the mermaids threaten to take matters into their own hands, forcing Calder to choose between them and the girl he loves.

One thing's for sure: whatever Calder decides, the outcome won't be pretty.

My Review
I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review. So we have killer mermaids set on revenge. Calder and his three sisters Maris, Pavati and Tallulah are out to avenge their mothers death by killing Jason Hancock's daughter Lily. Unfortunately Calder falls in love with Lily and must make the choice on getting revenge or keeping love either way someone is going to get hurt.

I dove into this thinking it was go go to blow me out of the water. No pun intended. It didn't quite manage to do that. I love reading all kinds of different paranormal books and there just isn't enough mermaid books. I thought this one would rock because who hears of killer mermaids told from the POV of a male killer mermaid. Calder is a good character but my main problem with him is he fell in love to quickly it just wasn't believable. Lily for some reason I just never got to like much. She is to forgiving of Calder when he tells her who he is. You want to know what character I did like. The three evil sisters is my pick for best characters. Why do I like them best? Simply because they are pure evil and I hated them. They stick to their character all through the book and make you really hate them.

This book for me was ok not great and didn't live up to the potential it had me wanting. I am glad I read it but I won't be rereading it that is for sure. The ending is quite good since I don't give spoiler you will have to read it if you so choice to. This isn't a quick read and at times it made me want to put it down. The story started picking back up at the end. I think the instant love thing is what put me off from this book considering he was supposed to be so evil. I think if you go into reading this with an open mind you will enjoy it. 
3 out of 5 bats ~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate