August 21, 2012

Review - The Treachery of Beautiful Things

The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Frances Long - Review


Goodreads Blurb
A darkly compelling mix of romance, fairy tale, and suspense from a new voice in teen fiction

The trees swallowed her brother whole, and Jenny was there to see it. Now seventeen, she revisits the woods where Tom was taken, resolving to say good-bye at last. Instead, she's lured into the trees, where she finds strange and dangerous creatures who seem to consider her the threat. Among them is Jack, mercurial and magnetic, with secrets of his own. Determined to find her brother, with or without Jack's help, Jenny struggles to navigate a faerie world where stunning beauty masks some of the most treacherous evils, and she's faced with a choice between salvation or sacrifice--and not just her own.

My Review
I received this book from Netgalley for an honest review. I wanted to read this book as soon as I heard about it. When Jenny was a small child she saw her brother Tom get taken by forest. Actually took and stole by the trees in fact. When she grows up she comes back to the forest and hears Tom's music. She enters the forest only to find her self surrounded by all kinds of new creatures and people. A boy name Jack is one of those she meets. They have a strong dislike for each other from the start. All Jack wants to do is get her safely out of the forest and all Jenny wants to do is find her brother. The forest is a very dangerous place as she soon finds out and Jack along with Pan help her on her way.

The characters are very well written in this book. You get to see Jenny grow before your eyes from someone who is scared and mild to a headstrong girl who isn't afraid to take on anyone who stands in her way. Jack is not who you think and it is amazing to watch him struggle with himself, those who control him and who he wants to be. Tom is a character you just have to read about because at times I liked him and sometimes I hated him. When you read it you will understand why. Pan what can you say about Pan he seems your friend but I wouldn't trust him I don't think. Most of the rest of the characters are truly evil. To go and list them all would take a long time and spoil the story.

I enjoyed this book as it has a lot of different fae characters and other paranormal creatures in it. The plot is great and the action never seems to stop. You never know what is going to happen to Jenny next or who to trust. the book has a few things that happen that surprise me when they happen and a few secrets I guess along the way. All in all if you want a good fae stand alone book I would recommend this one. It wraps up nicely and doesn't leave you wondering what next as I have seen books do. 

4 out of 5 bats~Pam

1 comment:

  1. this was a fabulous book and I hope that you put it on your "to read" list. Ruth Long is an author to watch- and personally I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete

Translate