October 29, 2012

Two and Twenty Dark Tales - Review

Two and Twenty Dark Tales : Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes

Book Blurb
In this anthology, 20 authors explore the dark and hidden meanings behind some of the most beloved Mother Goose nursery rhymes through short story retellings. The dark twists on classic tales range from exploring whether Jack truly fell or if Jill pushed him instead to why Humpty Dumpty, fragile and alone, sat atop so high of a wall. The authors include Nina Berry, Sarwat Chadda, Leigh Fallon, Gretchen McNeil, and Suzanne Young.

My Review
I received this book for a honest review from NetGalley. This is an anthology of a lot of great authors retelling Mother Goose Rhymes. Some of the authors who wrote a story for this book are Shannon Delaney, Suzanne Young, Gretchen McNeil, Nancy Holder, Suzanne Lazear, Leah Cypess and many more. I was going to make a note of each story what i liked about them but that just didn't happen. Why because I loved it so much I couldn't pull myself away to do so. I will say that almost all of the stories would get a 5 rating from me, some a 4 and maybe one 2 or 3. A few of the stories I enjoyed most are.

Clockwork by Leah Cypress the retelling of the mouse that ran up the clock. I love the twist on this story and how she kept the same feel for the rhyme but still made it her own.

Boys and Girls Come Out to Play by Angie Frazier is a wonderful story that I could picture being a longer book. I reread this story twice before moving on just because I enjoyed it so much.

Life in a Shoe by Heidi R. Kling is a fascinating tell of how kids are just raised to join an army or to make more kids. I love this remake of ole lady in the shoe.

Candlelight by Suzanne Lazear another favorite that tales how kids want to run away from unjust parents and what may happen to them when they do.

Tick Tock by Gretchen McNeil in true to her writing this is a wonderful tale of murder, babysitters and horrible children.

I could go on and on but lets just say I love this book and will soon get a print copy so I can have it on my shelf to reread as well. If you like retelling of older stories pick this up. The twist and turns are so amazing to read and you will never think of Mother Goose the same again. If Mother Goose and Tim Burton had a child some of these stories would be their love children. Lots of paranormal creatures and magical stories to be read in this anthology.
5 out of 5 Bats~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate