December 20, 2012

Author Spotlight with Amy Armbruster

Hello everyone! Today our Spotlight Author is Amy Armbruster. We will have an interview with her here on the blog and will be sharing quotes on the FB page so be sure to check out Paranormal Reads FB page. Now on to the Interview!!!

PR:Tell me about your book. How did you come up with that (story, angle, idea)?Amy:Whispering Coves - I watched an old black and white movie once, about a woman that was institutionalized and I remember thinking about the relationship between her and her husband and what a profound effect that would have on it. After a trip to Savannah, I knew I wanted to write a story that took place there or close to it - I love the South and how romantic it is - from the huge live oaks dripping with Spanish moss to the sound of the ocean waves lapping against the shore. You just can't get more inspiration than that! I came home from my vacation and Shyla Walters was born.

Devon's Curse - I always wanted to write about a psychic. What it would feel like to BE that person... Devon's story just came natural to me, once I started writing, it was hard to stop. Everything from her story and her painful past, plus the story of the ghosts that haunt her, just came so naturally to me. Even now, I'm amazed how well it came together.

Sisters Forevermore - As with all of my stories, I'm never 100% sure where the idea is born...but there is a house in my hometown and I've been in love with it since I was a child. I went through an almost obsessed stage, where I would drive by it EVERY day and just imagine what could have happened behind its walls. Writing this story allowed me to live inside of that house, even if it was just in my mind!



What is the hardest part of writing for you?
 Finding the time to sit and just write...usually, I feel the urge to write at the worst times...like when I'm driving to work or home from work or sitting at work! LOL not always when I'm actually in front of the computer :)


What advice would you give aspiring writers?
 Keep writing, don't stop, write for YOU and no one else. Don't write to become famous or write what is popular at the time, write what speaks to you or through you...and mostly write what you know a little bit about. Make it real.

What's a typical working day like for you? When and where do you write? Do you set a daily writing goal?
 I get up at six and get ready, wake up my daughter and then head off to my "day" job. I come home, make dinner most nights and do what needs to be done before sitting down at the computer for a few hours. I might write, if the urge strikes me or I have edits to do (I find I am having to discipline myself more now that I have published).

What do you do when you are not writing? 
 Everything else :) I spend time with my family, I enjoy being outside and exploring the world around me. I have so many interests - almost too many to name. I try to do a bit of ghost hunting when time allows - that is still something I really enjoy doing and find to be very exciting! The last year I have focused very hard on my books so have had to put the ghost hunting on a back shelf, but this year I'm hoping to find more time for it! I miss it.


If you were a paranormal being what would you be?
 A ghost. No doubt.


Which of your characters is most like you?
 Shyla in Whispering Coves. Like Shyla, I have suffered the loss of a family member which sent me into a bit of a depression that lasted for a very long time. I can relate to much of what she is feeling because I felt it. There is a lot about her that is very much ME. Those I'm closest to saw it right away.


If you were stranded on an island what character of yours would you want with you?
That's so hard to say...but probably Jack from Whispering Coves. I just picture him to be quite capable and handy, and really good looking! lol

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
 I appreciate you more than you'll ever know! Your words of support have kept me going, sometimes I read reviews and want to cry because of what you say and how much faith you have in me.


Is your family very supportive of your writing?
 My family is supportive of everything I do.


What was the hardest part of writing for you?
 Sharing it.


Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
 I have learned so much from writing all of my books. Sometimes they are a way of personal growth, helping me through tough times in my life, other times they are just an awesome escape. What I have learned most is not from my writing but from sharing my writing with the world, and that is that I do have a measure of talent and half the joy of writing comes from seeing others enjoy it!


What was the first book you remember reading?
 I have so many books from my childhood. I keep them on my book shelf. Judy Blume's - Are You There God It's Me, Margaret is definitely one of my favorites from my younger days.


For fun:Almost everything I do is fun or I don't do it!
Favorite color:Blues
Favorite season:  Fall for sure!
Favorite type of Animal - I love Panda Bears - they are so darn cute!
Favorite movie: I have a few I can watch over and over, one of my all time favorites though is The Others with Nicole Kidman - I just think it's a terrific ghost story.
Favorite song: I might lose fans for my taste in music but one of my favorite singers is Bing Crosby, so just about anything he sings :)


Author Bio
Amy Armbruster is a small town girl that has been writing for well over thirteen years. She enjoys sharing her stories with her readers. When she isn't writing, she enjoys spending time with her family, which includes her husband of eighteen years and two children. She has many interests including ghost hunting with her group, Just Curious Paranormal Studies, antiquing, cemetery exploring, and photography...just to name a few

Be sure to Check out Amy Armbruster's sites!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate