April 16, 2013

Dead Radiance - Review

Dead Radiance by T.G. Ayer
Dead Radiance
Blurb
Bryn Halbrook had always seen the glow. But it is only when her best friend dies that she discovers the meaning of those beautiful golden auras — Death. Alone, lost in the foster system, she struggles to understand who she is and why she was cursed with the ability to see the soon-to-be-dead. 

The new foster kid, Aidan, isn’t helping any. Mr. Perfect seems to fit in no matter what, making her feel even more pathetic. But when his affections turn to her, Bryn finds him hard to resist. Impossible actually. A mystery himself, Aidan disappears, leaving behind a broken heart and a mysterious book that suggests Bryn might not be entirely human.

Bryn stands at the threshold of a journey of discovery. Will destiny help her find herself, find her purpose and her place in a world in which she’d never belonged?

Excerpt:
That day I knew for sure. I'd lost control of my tears then. They fell in huge, mocking drops. I stared at Joshua through those bitter tears, my heart missing beats as I tried to remember to breathe.

I finally knew what the glow meant.

I was a freak and Joshua was going to die.

My Review
Bryn has always seen a glow and now that she is grown up she realizes it means that person is going to die. After her best friend dies she feels all alone in her foster home. The foster home soon get a new foster kid and Bryn feels close enough to Aidan to sort of ask him about it since he seems to have some knowledge concerning it. She wasn't expecting to have feelings for him. Feelings that make it all that much harder when she learns the truth about him. When he leaves suddenly he leaves behind a book that shows her just what she is and begins a journey that causes her to realize some things she always believed a myth are real and cause her to grow in strength and character.

Bryn is so fascinating!! I love how we see her grow from someone who always thought something was wrong with her into someone who isn't afraid to go after what she wants. She has much heartbreak, betrayal and surprises along the way and has a hard time knowing who to trust but she keeps moving forward. Aidan I wasn't sure how I felt about him at times. He went back and forth for me and at the end I ended up really liking him. When you read the book you will see why. There is many other great characters in this book including the trickster Loki that keep your attention and keep you flipping the pages. 

First off got to say this book is one of my favorite I have read this year. After i finished it I instantly bought the next book. It has Norse mythology in it and that is something you don't get very often. The author does a wonderful job letting you get to know Bryn and she really develops her as you read. The world you find yourself traveling to is a wonder to behold and the descriptions used make it a joy to read. There is plenty of action as Bryn trains and battles her way to what she wants and needs. This is sure to please anyone wanting a book dealing with Mythology.
5 out of 5 Bats~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate