June 21, 2013

Gameboard of the Gods - Review

Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X #1)
by Richelle Mead
Blurb
In a futuristic world nearly destroyed by religious extremists, Justin March lives in exile after failing in his job as an investigator of religious groups and supernatural claims. But Justin is given a second chance when Mae Koskinen comes to bring him back to the Republic of United North America (RUNA). Raised in an aristocratic caste, Mae is now a member of the military’s most elite and terrifying tier, a soldier with enhanced reflexes and skills.

When Justin and Mae are assigned to work together to solve a string of ritualistic murders, they soon realize that their discoveries have exposed them to terrible danger. As their investigation races forward, unknown enemies and powers greater than they can imagine are gathering in the shadows, ready to reclaim the world in which humans are merely game pieces on their board.


My Review
Religious extremists nearly destroyed the world and now things have changed. Justin March was exiled after being a investigator of religious groups and supernatural claims. He misses the comforts of his old life and wants to go back. He gets that chance when Mae Koskinen comes to bring him back to the Republic of United North America (RUNA. He can come back and go to work but he has a time limit and he has to work with Mae. Mae is a Praetorian or super soldier. They have to work together to solve the mystery of who is behind the cult- based murders and stop them before their own lives end up in danger. The answer they are seeking may be closer than they know.

Mae is hard for me to get to like. Things I do like about her are she is smart and strong. She pretty much has to depend on herself and she gets nothing from her family but grief. You really only get to see a lighter side of her a few times when she meets some friends and a few times with Justin. What I didn't like is she really for me had no personality. She was just going through the motions most of the time. Justin can seem like a jerk that is only out for him self but he does have a few good qualities that I did like. He does try to help some people as you will see. He is smart and really looks for details and tries not to leave any stone untouched. As for these two I like Justin the best.

This is a book that I think can go either way for people. I did like it but I didn't love it by far. It took me a while to read it because I just could not get into it. I couldn't connect with the characters or the plot. It has it's moments were things are moving along great and you get lots of action and at other times it just slows down. Sometimes I had to back read just to see if I was getting things wrong and most of the time I was getting confused on things. The ending is good as things start to fall into place and you really get to see just what is going on. Besides the ending I really enjoy few scenes in this book. A funeral scene was great and I know that sounds bad but if you read it you will see. I think it was one of the few parts with Mae I did like. If you like to take your time slowly reading a book and seeing things in a new light you may give this one a try. I hope the next book in this series is great and this one was just slow just to world building.

3 out of 5 Bats~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate