August 29, 2013

The Feed - Review

The Feed by C.M. Stunich
Blurb
"The fate of an entire people rests on my shoulders. I am heir to a dying throne, daughter of a dead city. I have made hard choices to get this far … ”


Mermaids have never been scarier …


The Feed is upon me and my destiny is laid out before me like a map. There are no detours, no hidden whirlpools that descend into the unknown. Everything I do must be carefully planned or else my choices could come crashing down around me. To change the hearts of my people, I must find the courage to surpass their expectations, to defy tradition and forge my own destiny.


This is it, my last chance at redemption


The Huntswomen, sirens of the sea, have one real purpose in life: on their sixteenth birthdays, they must travel ashore and find a human male, mate with him, and consume his flesh. Only then can they return to the sea and become the last bastion against the violet ocean, warriors for their weaker brethren, the fishtailed merighean.


Natalie is the heir to the throne of the last merighean city still standing, but there's something about the Feed that doesn't sit right with her. When she meets Seth, the man with the strange tattoos, she knows that she must forge her own destiny, even if it means breaking the rules and risking her mother's wrath. Because sometimes, to choose your own path, you must make hard choices.


My Review
Natalie is to become queen of the last merighean city left standing. All she has to do is on her sixteenth birthday is go with the others Huntswoman and Feed. There is several problems with that. One is she doesn't like the Feed and wants to change it when she becomes queen. Two is the queen her mother doesn't like her and does what she can to hurt her at every chance. The third is she grows to care for Seth, the one she has to mate with and feed on. She doesn't know what to do and she can't follow her heart. 

This is an interesting and different take on mermaids. Some are the typical mermaids and some that come from the mating on the Hunt can become human and are like sirens. It is up to them to bring back flesh and mate to begin the cycle over again. You really get to see the amazing world through Natalie's eyes as the author does an amazing job creating this world. Natalie really tries her best to fight the urges she has and wants to be good. She finds Seth is different from what she has always been told and really doesn't want to leave him. Seth has a few secrets his self that even he hasn't figured out yet that add a great touch to the book. I look forward to seeing just what all he has to do with this fantastic world. If you think all mermaids are sweet like Disney portrays them then you definitely need to read this book. You get to see the darker side of the underwater world and a mother that will make you think she comes straight from hell. I really loved this book and look forward to reading more of the story. The ending has a twist I didn't see coming and I have to know what happens next. Recommended for anyone wanting a different book to read that steps outside the box.

5 out of 5 Bats~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate